Friday, October 26, 2007

Caramel Goodness

A few days ago I was having some very tart apple slices and swiss cheese for lunch. It was yummy (and good for me), but it needed something else, something sweet. I was of course online while noshing and tried to think what would be good with apples and cheese when it hit me.

Caramel.

That is exactly what I wanted.

I poked about the internet for a good, easy to make recipe for a caramel dip. Most of then required caramel to be added, either the sundae topping or the candies. Which is absurd, since the whole point of looking for a recipe means I didn't have any on hand. In the end I found an acceptable candidate over at RecipeCenter.com.

It's Caramel Dip for Apples as submitted by Steven C. Alpaugh. You can click over for the full recipe. I did just a 1/2 batch and it came out utterly scrumptious.

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 tbs. brown sugar
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix together until well blended. Dip apple wedges in caramel dip and eat.

It can be used right away, or mix ahead and refrigerate. This helps dissolve the sugars and blend flavors for a better caramel flavor. This stays creamy and ready to us as a dip right from the refrigerator.

It totally hit the spot. It really is good to eat right after mixing it up, but it is even better after aging a bit in the fridge. I love dipping cheese cubes in it for a little snack. I might even share some with the kids.

No comments: