Monday, October 22, 2007

Remedial Car Repair

Generally I don't do much in the way of car repair. I do have a decent idea of how an engine works, but I have neither the inclination or the tools to try to fix it. I can change a tire, replace fuses, and jump start it. If pressed I can even reset the various warning lights on the dash. But that is pretty much it until today.

The poor left bumper of the van has had a fair amount of trauma. It has a multitude of scuffs from not quite judging the garage opening when we first got the van. (In order for both cars to fit the van has to be on the far left. The van has a slightly, maybe two inches, longer front than the old one and it took a while to get used to it.) Then I was driving along and got lightly side swiped this year from someone who decided to make a left hand turn across oncoming traffic. Fortunately no one was hurt and all that happened was that my van gained a few more scuffs on the front left bumper.

Then this weekend the poor bumper got bonked again. Sadly it was not just a scuff, but a big dent right in the corner of the front left bumper (stupid garage). Luckily nothing broke. I decided to give it a good look today and see if there was anything I could do about it. The dent was in the bumper cover, which is made of some sort of heavy duty plastic. I first tried to remove the cover, but after 4 screws and a dozen or so more to go I stopped. This was getting far too complicated. I then felt around under the car and discovered the dent was in an empty space I could actually reach from the inside.

While laying on a somewhat grubby garage floor I could reach up into the space and push the dent out.

Whoo! Hoo!

It's not a perfect fix, but the van looks much better now.

Now if I could just make the scuffs disappear.

No comments: