Thursday, May 01, 2008

Going Round And Round For A Cure

I have a new favorite NASCAR driver. Really, I do.

Before moving down south to Virginia I was only dimly aware of the whole stock car racing thing. But now that I'm in the south and the mother of three little boys that love all things that go fast I've gotten quite an education. We settled on a couple of racers to watch, one of them being Elliot Sadler. Why Elliot you ask? Well he is relatively local and at the time drove the M&M car.

Then last year a new driver, Denny Hamlin, hit the scene. He had an amazing rookie year and is from the Richmond metro area. So I started to watch him. This year he has become my official favorite because of his foundation's focus, Cystic Fibrosis. It turns out he has a close relative with CF. In fact tonight there is a short track race just south of Richmond that will benefit the foundation.I would have loved to have taken the kids, but it is a school night and Nate (he's pitching too) has a ball game that starts at the same time as the race.

Then to put the whole thing over the top is Denny's auction. He is selling off all the stuff in his life that slows him down and all the proceeds go to St. Jude Children's Hospital. The site is a hoot, there are things like a rocking chair, spa slippers and War and Peace. I don't know who came up with the idea, but I love it.

So go Hurricane Hamlin.

No comments: