Tuesday, June 10, 2008

10 Kibble Diet


the boys
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
I like to keep our dogs trim.

They are, supposedly (ie I need to actually enter them in shows), show dogs and must be kept nice and trim. I also want to avoid a whole host of health problems that dogs get when they are obese. Dachshunds are prone to back problems and excess weight increases the likelihood of something going wrong.

I take pride in the fact that I have never gotten the fat dog speech at the Vets. Mind you, my dogs have gotten a bit plump at times. This always seems to correspond with when I have kids in highchairs. But, I have always been able to take the weight off.

John and Dell, however, have a different view about what is their correct weight.

This weekend they took matters in their own paws and decided to supplement their diet. Somehow the closet holding their food was let open. The boys then happily raided the food bag. I didn't realize what was going on until I saw Dell guiltily skulking about.

Both boys looked bloated.

It looks like they had gorged on several days worth of food in the span of less than an hour.

So now both dogs are on what I call the 10 kibble diet for the next couple of days. They'll get just token meals until I think they are ready to go back to full rations.

No comments: