Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Artist of the Week: Organization


drawers
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
This week's artist or rather artists are the fine folks that design stuff for Pier One.

For quite sometime I've been struggling with all the stuff the kids have around the house. When school is in session the problem worsens. Backpacks litter the hallway, school papers drift about the first floor and extra school supplies disappear.

For a while I've toyed with the idea of having a set of cupboards to be built below the counter ledge in our dining area. There would be four sections and each child would have their own space for pack packs and whatever. But this was wishful thinking, it would only be in our budget after bunch of other things had been done around the house.

Three weeks ago, as I readied the crew for school, I decided that I really needed to do something about the impending tidal wave of school work. All four would have homework this year and we needed a better system.


backpacks
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
So I started off looking at Ikea and found a piece that would neatly fit under the supports of the ledge and provide sufficient storage for all four. However the shipping cost was more than the actual unit and Woodbridge, VA was too far to drive for just a shelving unit. I looked at few other websites, but all I could find was the fantastically expensive or things that we could afford that just missed.

Casting my net further I went to all sorts of stores in the area with my tape measurer. After a half a dozen places I ended up in Pier One and struck gold. The piece fits perfectly under the ledge. Each kid has their own drawer and (double bonus!) I now have a place to store our crayon bucket/ misc. art supplies and another spot for extra school supplies. Then looking about the store a bit more I found the perfect unit to hold backpacks.

So hats off to the nameless entities that designed these attractive and sturdy solutions for our storage needs. Now when we clear the table we have a place to put away homework and they can now get their own paper and what have you.

No comments: