Thursday, April 30, 2009

Go Denny, Go

I'm from the northeast where NASCAR is an extremely minor entity. Oh we knew about the big races, but the drivers don't have nearly the same fan base as in the south. Baseball, football and hockey are the big sports.

Then I moved done south.

The boys live and breath NASCAR, they have their favorite drivers and love to watch the races on TV. I've learned quite a bit, I now know about individual drivers and I even have a vague idea about the standings. And I even have favorite drivers. Originally they were Elliot and Hermie Sadler, they are from Virginia and them seem like a couple of really nice guys.

Then Denny Hamlin blew in, he's a local guy and a pretty darn good driver. Then he started his charitable foundation and that pushed him over into being my favorite. It turns out he has a cousin with CF and as a result his charity's primary focus is Cystic Fibrosis. In fact tonight was his big "Short Track Showdown." This is his second year hosting an event at the Southside speedway. Last year he donated over $50, 000 to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This year he is trying to double it.

So all I can say is Go Denny! Go!

No comments: