Thursday, May 14, 2009

Being Dead Is No Excuse

Is the singularly delightful main title to a book I just checked out and ripped through today.

The full title is "Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral" and when I spied it on the new and/or recommended shelf I just had to check it out. It had laugh out loud passages that were entirely believable. It's a wonderful look at funereal practices in the deep south ranging from what to bring to the family and the pros and cons of Episcopalian versus Methodist. An added bonus, I that I did not realize until I brought it home, it's chock full of classically southern dishes like Bourbon Boiled Custard and Can't Die without It Carmel Cake.

It is not the most profound book on death, but is definitely the most fun.

No comments: