Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Savory Treats

Sunday I went to my very first Oscar party.

Normally I camp out on the sofa and flip back and forth between the broadcast and whatever else is on, calling up Meryl when something particularly noteworthy occurs. Snacks are culled from the fridge on an ad hoc basis. I won't be wearing sweats, but at some point the contacts come out and the glasses go on along with some comfy pjs.

This year, however, I got all dolled up and made some fancy pants hors d'oeurves.

The pillowy ones on the left are garlic puffs courtesy of The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins and The dark squiggly bits are Caramelized Onion Tart from Annie's Eats. Both are ridiculously easy, they just take a fair amount of time to prepare. Since I'm able to link up to the respective recipes, I'll just share my modifications.

  • For both I used store bought puff pastry. It's supposedly not very hard to make your own, but since these were new and untried recipes I decided to stick with what I knew would work. The package came with two sheets, perfect for the two recipes.
  • When I made the garlic pesto I only made a third of a batch. I didn't need nor want to make a full batch. 15 heads of garlic is a boatload of peeling.
  • For the onion tart I trebled the onions (they smelled heavenly while I caramelized them) and doubled the ricotta and Parmesan cheese. It all looked too skimpy on the dough after I unfolded the pastry sheet and placed the dough on a baking sheet.
Both appetizers came out delicious, the onion tart was particularly scrumptious. They were a big hit at the party.

No comments: