Thursday, November 12, 2009

Grape Popsicle


grape popsicle
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
That is my husbands name for my new hair color.

I have always wanted to color my hair something outrageous, but I always balked at actually doing something about it. I didn't want to spend the time or the money at a salon and I wasn't too keen on doing it on my own.

That is until now.

After a year of successfully coloring my hair at home I was ready to step up to the challenge.

What brought this all about was boredom with my hair color tempered with the frustration of not being able to find just the shade of auburn that I desired. As I idly scanned all the color options at my local drugstore my eyes were caught by one box on the bottom shelf, bright blue screamed for attention. Now that could be fun.

I rocked back a bit on my heels and thought about it. Maybe not blue, maybe purple would be a better choice. I had to sleep on it.

I brought it up with my husband and he was game. So the next day I sallied forth and got color stripper and demi-permanent purple. According to one shop purple doesn't come in permanent because it's not "natural"- which is ridiculous considering what some people do to their hair with so called "natural" tints.

The color stripper was ineffectual with my 10 plus years of coloring so I had to go out again and get bleach. I won't scare you here with the results of the bleaching, but if you really want to know click here. I have always maintained that I would not look good blonde and now I know it's true. The reaction among the kids was very funny- Jake gave a startled "Whoa," Nate burst into laughter, Rebecca looked upon my strawberry blonde tresses in a mixture of horror and amusement, and Max was best of all. He literally fell over backwards. He flat out refused to look at me. I decided to give my hair a bit of a rest and held off to the next day for the empurpling.

The next morning, after I sent off four slightly shell shocked kids to school, I donned my vinal gloves and did the deed. It was very easy and I am fairly pleased with the results. I expected the coor to be a bit warmer, but I prefer the cooler tone that I got. Larry likes it and dubbed it grape popsicle.

As for the rest of the world, well my friends like it. Nate's fifth grade class thinks it terrific, but then again I did have cupcakes at the time. And Max, well he is over the shock of the blonde and no longer refuses to look at me. He told me later that it is much better than blonde, but that he liked my old color more.

No comments: