Sunday, January 10, 2010

Machinarium

I've been sucked into a delightful little world lately.

My husband got me the game Machinarium (warning there is sound at the game's web site) for my birthday. I played it a little at first, but the madness of the holidays conspired against me and then we went away. So I really haven't been playing it until now.

It's very similar in play like it's predecessors, Samorost 1 and 2, but instead of our little man in white we have a world of robots. I love the visuals and the music, they are both a delight. Game play is mostly just point and click with all sorts of puzzles that you must solve in order to progress. My only complaint is the save function.

There is a serious design flaw in how the levels you save are stored. It's a flash game and it is vulnerable to all sorts of anti-cookie software. It was extremely exasperating to save a level and come back to find all your saves gone. There is a patch from the designer over at the game's forum, but it looks like I have to run it every time I play. A bit clunky, but the game is such a gem I willing to deal with it.

No comments: