Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Artist of the Week: Quiet Hero

This week's artist is a little bit different, I can't say who she is or post a picture. However I will tell you why she is my new hero.

I met this remarkable young women just by chance. I was helping out with outfits for a group of students and she was one of many. She made a disparaging remark about the size she needed and I, along with the other adult person present, told her she was fine. Size is just a number and she shouldn't be so negative. Yes she is a big girl, but she is fit, active, and a delight to be around. The other adult present then said "Anyway you'll be losing weight after your operation."

Hmm, what's this about. We bustled about and then I got the full story.

It turns out this sweet young woman will be donating one of her kidneys to her mother.

Wow.

She then went onto say some people were giving her a hard time about this amazing, wonderful act she was doing for her mother. Statements along the line of "why are you doing this."

I was floored.

I spoke up and said. It's your mom, why won't you. This is the most incredible thing you can do to the person that brought you into this world. You are giving a  gift that is beyond birthday and Christmas presents for the next 20 years. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision. As she left us, I told her she was my hero.

No one was making her do this, it is by her own choice. She is fully cognizant of the pain and risks involved, but it is something she wants to do. A little bit scared, but fully confident that she is doing the right thing.

No comments: