Sunday, July 06, 2008

Yummy Ribs


yummy ribs
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
This is what the ribs looked like on Friday and I have my friend Google to thank for telling me how to cook them.

The first site I hit was this one, Texas Style BBQ Beef Ribs. It was invaluable for the great pictures and general advice. It was there that I learned about the importance of taking your time, beef ribs need to be slow cooked at about 250 for 6 - 7 hours. From there it was pretty much the seat of my pants.

I decided Thursday night that I really should apply the dry rub and that night and let the ribs sit overnight in the fridge with the rub on. Of course I never did find a dry rub I liked so I had to make my own. After endlessly sifting through many different sites for recipes I found one to my liking that filled my main criteria. It had to only have ingredients I have on hand.

This one fit the bill:

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 paprika (that used up my little jar)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

The directions accompanying the above were dead simple.

1- It is very important to peel the membrane off of the inside of the rack of beef ribs before starting.

2- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.

3- Sprinkle the mixture on both sides and rub it in.

4- Grill on medium heat grill for 2-3 hours or until rib meat is tender.*

*I did not actually grill the ribs (*horrors!) Instead I baked them in the oven for 6 and 1/2 hours at 250. I had wrapped them overnight in aluminum foil and placed the packets on jelly roll pans. After an hour of cooking I opened up the packets, but left the ribs on the foil; to contain the mess. During the last couple of hours I brushed on some commercial barbecue sauce. I used Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Recipe after a great conversion in my local super market with a guy that had tried them all.

After a few hours the kitchen started to smell great. After six hours the ribs were just right. Max passed on them (I think they looked too messy to him), but everybody else enjoyed the ribs. Jake is already begging me to make them again.

No comments: