Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Artist of the Week: Weather


Max
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
This week's artist is Mr. Max, pictured here on the beach when we were on vacation.

Interestingly enough he was just talking to me today about our trip to the Outer Banks. He loved having the beach so close by and he wants to go again. It was fun being able to play in the waves and build sand castles as the mood struck.

It looks cold in the picture, I could have warmed it up, but it was cloudy and fairly early in the morning. I try to resist doing too much to my pictures. It's tempting to keep tweaking the picture to make it better, then ultimately the heart of the picture is lost. But that is just my opinion, of course sometimes a picture just begs to be played with.

Anyway this is not about me and my pictures, but Max and his.


cover
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
At school Max's class has been studying weather. They have been learning all about different forms and what a forecast is. One of their assignments was to make a little book about weather.

I found it stuck inside his folder today while looking through his backpack for any handouts. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it is a series of pages you flip up. Each page gets progressively larger as you go through the book. The book itself defines all sorts of weather related terminology. From blizzard on down to wind, it is all neatly defined with a small illustration accompanying the text.

I love Max's spare little drawings. Rebecca would have drawn things in a much bolder fashion, but that is not Max.


drought
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
I think my favorite page is drought. Max drew the absolutely cutest cow skeleton. I don't know why it appeals to me so much, but it does. If you click on either of the two pictures they will take you to the picture's page in my Flickr photostream and from there you can go to the picture set. I uploaded the whole book. You'll get to see another one of my favorites, the tornado and hurricane page. I don't know if it was intentional, but I love how the word "hurricane" is upside down. The bending teeny tiny palm trees complete the picture.

I think Max did a terrific job.

No comments: