Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Artist of the Week: Crafty Greetings

Card by Teckelcar
Card, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
I love sending out and receiving holiday cards. I put a fair amount of effort in getting the right style of card and taking the annual picture. I think my favorite part is taking the big stack of cards and mailing them off at the post office. I get a big kick out of the handful of international addresses I send to each year. Two are friends I made while working at a lab in Wisconsin.

One family is from Australia and for years they told me not to bother. They do enjoy the card, but they think it is absurd to send a card halfway around the world. I, on the other hand, can think of no better reason.

The other family was originally from Switzerland and now they live in Wales. Pascale is getting the shout out this week because every year she sends out her own handmade cards. They are always lovely to look at and I feel very special when it arrives in the mail.

This year she really knocked herself out with an embroidered card. It took me a moment to realize she had sew the design on the card. Then I noticed that the design was composed of six pointed stars, the Star of David.

Normally her cards have a sort of Victorian Christmas theme. She knows we are Jewish and I'm very touched that she choose to recognize this in the card she sent this year. Her cards are always beautiful, but this one is very special.

Thank you Pascale, my your new year be merry and bright!

1 comment: