Thursday, May 26, 2005

Farmers Market

Hooray! It’s that time of the year when I can get fresh veggies at the farmers market. Today I went with Max and Rebecca to pick up our garden share.


gardenshare
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.


What is a garden share?

In my case, I pay my grower, Amy, a predetermined sum by mid-March. She then provides me with a share of her garden for the entire growing season. It is a good system. She gets money in the winter and I get a guaranteed portion of her bounty. There is the risk that she could have a wretched growing season, but she has done a good job so far. I end up getting a very full grocery bag every Thursday from now until the first killing frost (around early November).

Amy’s vegetables are very fresh and flavorful. She grows a wide range of crops and she likes the heirloom varieties, from greens and turnips to tomatoes and potatoes. We get exposed to new (to us) vegetables that I never would have dared tried. We also end up eating better too, since I can’t bear to throw any of it away.

This week we got fresh cut arugula, mesclun salad mix, broccoli raab, French breakfast radishes, strawberries, white Japanese turnips and pink Japanese turnips.

Max and Rebecca both wanted to hold the strawberries in the picture. I noticed that there was a whole lot less when we were done.

I also picked up some rhubarb. I’ll be making a strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend. Yum!

No comments: