Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Let Them Eat Cake

Here is the Mexican Chocolate Cake I wrote about. I baked it last night and I just finished decorating it.

Mexican Chocolate Cake
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

It seems to be my do-over cake. I started making it last night with some almonds I had in the pantry. After blending them with some chocolate in my food processor I decided that they didn’t smell right. So I chucked that batch and rooted about in my freezer. I knew I had some almond flour stashed in there somewhere in the depths. Almond flour is just finely ground almonds. Since I wanted them to be finely chopped I figure it would work. I just had to reduce the volume a smidge. The second batch was much better.

I also substituted butter for canola oil. I don’t have any canola oil and I prefer baking with butter. This required a small increase of volume for the butter; instead of four tablespoons I used six. Once the batter was all mixed I popped it into the oven. It smelled lovely. It has a spicy, chocolaty, nutty kind of aroma.

Today I glazed the cake with chocolate and piped a swirly design all over it. It looked terrible. After a brief internal debate I scraped it all off and tried again. This time it looked much better.

Oh and the cakes from yesterday were a big hit. One of Jake’s classmates got a taste and asked Jake to ask me to make another cake for the class. Then this morning Jake’s teacher actually called me up to thank me. Unfortunately I was not home, but I saved the message.

Cake anyone?

No comments: