Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Science at Home

I just thought you would like to know that sometimes it can be dangerous to open a thermos. Especially if it has been at school since Friday, wasn’t brought home until Tuesday and contained chocolate milk.

It was not the smell; in fact it was oddly odorless. Mind you I really didn’t give it a big sniff until after I washed it.

No, it was the fact that the contents were under a great deal of pressure.

I had a hard time unscrewing the lid. When it finally loosened I heard a loud FWOOM.

Looking inside the now open thermos I saw a fine mist of chocolate milk eddying about inside. I did not know aged chocolate milk under pressure would form an aerosol upon release of the aforementioned pressure.

I am happy to report that I did not get coated in ancient chocolate milk, nor was my kitchen. The thermos cleaned out easily.

I now know that the thermos has an airtight seal. Hopefully we will not attempt to reproduce these results.

Pupdate: The little girl did not make it, but the remaining six are doing well and are almost a pound apiece.

No comments: