Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Artist of the Week: Maps

This week’s artist is Jake.

jake
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

Last spring his class was studying maps. Jake loves maps and he was truly inspired by this unit. He was drawing maps whenever he had a free moment and some paper.

I found this one while I was rummaging about in some piles of papers.

jakemap
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

The spelling is far from perfect, but the meanings are clear. I like the care he used in making the compass rose in the lower left corner.

Larry also loves maps and he has told me how as a child he used to draw maps. To this day he enjoys looking at maps and has a few framed ones in his office. I too like maps and I can never understand people who can not read maps. I know when I’m driving about I visualize a map in my head when I’m trying a new route and I have a few local and national atlases stashed in the van.

So I guess you could say maps are in Jake’s DNA.

No comments: