Thursday, November 17, 2005

Thursday Three: Housing!

It Thursday and y’all know what that means, yet another Thursday Three! Terry sets us the following task:

Once more, it’s time to put on your thinking caps and see what there is to find out about you. Today’s set of questions were inspired by Chef Tony, who gave us an insight a couple of days back about the type of house he’d like to build for himself if he suddenly became Croesus, Midas, and Bill Gates all rolled into one.

In that theme, then, answer for us these three questions:
1) If you had an unlimited amount of money, what sort of house would you like to have?
2) If you decided to chunk it and go the full Thoreau route, what sort of hovel would you like to have?
3) What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the house or apartment you live in right now?

There you go! In addition to your thinking caps, strap on that tool belt and get to work coming up with your answers. Remember, though--be safe and please don't forget to wear your safety goggles.
  1. I gravitate towards Colonial and Victorian styles of architecture. I like the Georgian style featured in this article and the Italianate here. This site has a nice summation of Victorian styles and this one has a good timeline of American Architecture. I like old houses, the house that I lived in until my father passed away was over 400 years old. Ideally I would want one that is spacious enough for our family with a fair piece of land. The interior of house itself would be remodeled in a way that it preserves the flavor of the house, but has all the modern conveniences of indoor plumbing, electricity and cable. I would also like to be near the ocean with a nice beach. This property seems to fill the bill. Mind you I would want a full staff to clean and maintain the place.

  2. I don’t think Thoreau ever had to contend with four children. I am not willing to forgo indoor plumbing and electricity. However I can see our having a weekend cabin somewhere, but it has to have a dishwasher. It is not a vacation if you have to hand wash the dishes. Larry and I joke that the main reason we bought our first house was so that we would have a dishwasher. As my parents once observed, you can always take your clothes to the Laundromat, but not your dishes.

  3. The house could use paint inside and out. The floors downstairs need refinishing and I want to rip out all the carpeting upstairs. I would love to redo the kitchen with granite type counters and a gas cook-top. We would also like to add playroom and maybe one or two more bedrooms. The playroom would be very nice, because I could chuck all the toys cluttering the house into it. When I brought this up with Larry he thought it would also be nice if the playroom had a large picture window so we can supervise the goings on without hearing the accompanying din. Oh and one more thing, we could use more bookcases. I realize this is a list and not just one thing. I guess if I had to pick just one it would be the building an addition with a playroom and 1 or 2 bedrooms.

No comments: