Monday, May 08, 2006

Buckaroo Banzai

This weekend I treated the kids to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

I love this movie and when I found it on Amazon for less than $10 I had to get it. I mentioned to Meryl that I was thinking about it and she encouraged me to buy it. It turns out she is a fan of it too. She even went so far to say that she would come over and watch it with me and the kids.

Last Saturday was chosen to be the big day. Once we were done with all of our sports obligations and a quick dump run, Meryl came on over. The kids were beside themselves with excitement when she arrived. It had been awhile and as a result they were bouncing off the walls. Literally, Max and Nate (and to a lesser extent Rebecca, she was mostly comic relief) were inspired to have an epic light saber battle. It resulted in much leaping about and jumping off and onto all sorts of things. After repeated warnings to tone it down or somebody will get hurt, one of them got bonked on the head and the light sabers were confiscated.

Since it was late afternoon we opted for an earlish dinner at Brock’s and then we would watch the movie. Once we were suitably stuffed we headed back home.

Meryl, myself and all four kids piled onto the sofa to watch.

It was just as silly as I remembered. There were quite a few scenes I had completely forgotten about, but I quickly remember how much I loved all the quips in the movie.

I think one of my favorites was when Lizardo/Whorfin was firing up his fellow aliens to go home:
“Where are we going?”
“Planet 10!”
“When are we going?”
“Real soon!”

I can’t believe I had forgotten that scene, two days later and I’m still smiling. It went over the kids’ heads, but they were kind enough to laugh along with me.

On the whole it was positively received. It wasn’t quite as immediate as “The Holy Grail,” but they did like it.

Now I have to get some Marx brothers. Duck Soup Anyone?

No comments: