Thursday, June 04, 2009

I Think My Phone is Slugged


Yuck
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
We have been having intermittent problems with our phone line. Instead of a normal dial tone there will be a loud buzzing noise and caller ID no longer works.

I went through all the normal hoops (unplug the phones, disconnect the house and plug directly into the test jack, etc) to no avail. It still buzzes and you can't hear anything else over the noise. On impulse I decided to check out the box by the side of the road. For whatever reason It has never been closed up properly and I figured what the hey. Maybe it will be something obvious.

I strolled down the driveway and popped the cover off to discover a truly revolting mess.

The wires were coated in a horrible brown glop reminiscent of Oompa-Loompa food. A seemly defunct small paper wasp nest was attached to the cover. And, best of all, slugs were oozing about on the wires.

To say I was taken aback would be an understatement.

I went back inside and grabbed a paper tool to wipe off some of the muck. I ended up flicking off the wasp nest and prying off the slugs with a handy twig. The picture here is post clean-up and, trust me here, you should be glad it is. I slogged back to the house and checked the phone after I was done, but the line was still toast.

Unfortunately the phone company can not come until Tuesday, but I did entertain the operator and she agreed that the sad state of the box may be to blame.

No comments: