Sunday, January 08, 2006

Thoughts from Saturday Morning

I like eggnog. I like it a lot, but not enough to make my own (I don’t do raw eggs). I am very happy with the non-alcoholic version, so as a result I look forward to this time of year when I can pick up my favorite brand at the grocery store.

On Saturday morning I was sipping on my eggnog and cooking up pancakes. When I put down my glass next to the bowl full of batter I noticed something interesting. (I just want to say here that it is amazing how you can find pictures of almost everything on the web.) Except for the flakes of nutmeg, they look almost identical. I called Larry over and he agreed. The only other difference was that the batter was significantly thicker than the drink. We decided to try a little of the eggnog in the pan. It was, as I thought, too thin and rapidly boiled away with little spits and bubbles into a smudge of caramelized paste. I scraped it up and had a little taste. Meh, it warm, solidified eggnog, not horrible, but not worth repeating. It probably would work *in* the batter and would result in eggnog flavored pancakes. However, I won’t try it because I like my pancakes plain and slathered with butter.

So be careful, cook the batter and drink the eggnog. I am happy to report that I did not drink any batter.

No comments: