Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thursday Three: the Forgotten

Hey it’s Thursday and that means it is time for the Axis of Weevil Thursday Three! Today Terry has provided us with a fresh and exciting slate of questions to start off the New Year. And here we g...

Oh, it appears our fearless leader has been a bit distracted and instead he presents us with the following:
But, I forgot it was Thursday. Which means today’s Axis of Weevil Thursday Three will start the New Year off in tepid fashion with a Slapdashed-Together Edition of America’s Favorite Online Questionnaire!

Scrounging around through my desk drawer and underneath the file cabinet, I found some vowels and consonants, which I have skillfully assembled using a nearly dried-out glue stick and a twist tie to come up with these questions. We ask that you use caution as you answer them, because the glue isn’t really sticking things together all that well.

ANYway, here we go:

1) What is the most important thing you ever forgot to do?
2) Do you try to keep yourself organized through a routine so you don’t have to rely so much on remembering things, or do you follow a more open approach based on what you want to get done during the day and try to actually think things through?
3) What do you have the most trouble remembering--people’s names, how to get places, or important dates?

Okeedoke--all of you go off and answer! Either leave your answers in the comments below, or leave a link to your blog post.

1) Hmmm, the most important thing I have ever forgotten to do. Well there have been a variety of cooking mishaps were I have forgotten to add an ingredient or spaced out and left something in the oven too long. I think the worst was when I was about 13 or so and I was boiling up a couple of hotdogs for me and my brother for lunch. We went outside to play for a bit and we both completely forgot about them. We came back in an hour later to find one extremely hot pot with two shriveled up and blackened bits of former hotdogs annealed to the bottom of the said pot. It took a lot of elbow grease to clean out that pot. I have in recent years spaced out on appointments and such and one time I sat down for a moment to rest for a bit and fell asleep on the couch. I slept through meeting the Jake at the bus stop and was only waked when my neighbor called. It turns out that the he had walked to the house (maybe 200 ft from the bus stop) found the doors locked and then went across the street to our neighbors. I felt horrible. I rushed over to collect my boy and profusely apologized to him. In my defense though I was caring for twin infants at the time and was a bit of a zombie.

2)Routines and schedules help me get things done. I’m much better at keeping on top of things if I have a regular rhythm to my day and/or week. Subsequently everything goes to pot when we are on vacation. Thinking things out can be a baaaaad idea, that’s how I get sidetracked.

3)I’m horrible with people’s names. I can be formally introduced to someone at an event and 15 minutes later I’ll have no clue what about their name. Cocktail parties are the worst. I’m deaf in one ear and I get a bit overwhelmed by the background noise. The result is that I have a hard time hearing people around me and I might not properly “catch” their name before they move on. Dog shows are equally noisy and again I might miss the introduction. The sad thing is I can often remember the names of all their dogs. However, this is a common problem in the dogshow world and dog people are a little more forgiving and understanding.

So thus ends this week’s less than memorable answers to the Thursday Three.

No comments: