Friday, January 26, 2007

Almond Butter Cookies

Last week I wanted to make cookies, but none of my old standbys. I wanted to try something new, so I pulled out my battered Cooky Book and started to leaf through it. Ginger Creams caught my eye followed by Chocolate Orange Puffs. I seriously considered making the puffs (a sort of chocolate cream filled puff), but in the end I decided they were too fussy for last minute baking. Then my eye wandered down the page and I noticed Almond Butter Cookies.

They are simple, I had all the ingredients and they just plain sounded good.
Almond Butter Cookies

1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup finely chopped almonds (don’t remove skins)*
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat the oven to 350 (mod.). Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in almonds and vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Blend in flour with pastry blender. Form in small (scant teaspoonfuls). Place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with bottom of a greased glass dipped in sugar. Bake 9 to 10 min., or until slightly browned. Makes about 6 doz. Cookies.
*I use almond meal/flour, it’s always a big mess when I chop my own almonds.


almondbuttercookies
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

Rebecca had lots of fun helping me smash the cookies flat. The cookies themselves were (they are all gone now) very tasty and reminded me of shortbread. The only problem was they didn’t taste all that almondy. Next time I’ll use 1 tsp of vanilla and ½ tsp of almond flavoring and see how they taste. Otherwise it’s a good cookie and everybody liked them.

No comments: