Friday, July 27, 2007

Fried Tomato


fried tomato
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
Today at lunch I decided to try something new, at least new to me, fried tomatoes. I've never had them before, but I've always wanted to give them a try. I really like tomatoes and pretty much everything is better fried.

S today was the day, I had a yellow tomato that wasn't quite ripe on the vine on the deck. After a bit of searching I settled on the recipe below, mostly because I don't have cornmeal.

I not ripe tomato
1 egg, beaten
flour
breadcrumbs
salt
black pepper

Cut the tomato into 1/4 slices. Lightly dust the tomato slices with flour with a little salt and pepper. Dip the slices in the beaten egg then coat with breadcrumbs. Fry up the slices until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.

All I can say is that is was absolutely delicious. I will definitely repeat this in the future. This might be a good way to use up those end of season tomatoes that don't fully ripen before the first frost.

No comments: